Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Student Profile: Louis Brotherton

The Wake Forest University website is featuring profiles of select students in a Q&A format. They are featuring a trio of students with ties to the Schools of Business: Louis Brotherton, Dan Murdock and Luis De La Cruz.

*****

louis.brotherton
Wake Forest University
Louis Brotherton (Finance) is the youngest of five children. His family hosts Doebayfest, one of the Northwest’s premier small music festivals. Last April, he won the 2012 Capitalism with a Conscience Essay Contest and a $1,500 prize for his piece, “The Conscience of Business: What is the Role of Business Today?” The piece presented a logical argument as to how capitalism enables and encourages the pursuit of both corporate and social goals.



Tell us about the Wake Forest Ethics Debate Team.
My senior year, I joined the Wake Forest Ethics Debate Team as a founding member and president. Undergradaute students from diverse disciplines participate in “ethics bowl” debate competitions nationwide.  I’ve always had a passion for debate, and this was a fantastic avenue to both develop and deploy my public speaking abilities. The team spent many hours preparing for these competitions and debating contemporary ethical issues. We won the North Carolina competition and placed second in the South Eastern Regional.

Did you travel? If so, how did your experiences impact your education?
I fondly remember two profoundly shaping trips from my sophomore year. The first was a trip with the MBA program to Spain, where we studied Spanish energy policy and renewable energy. We visited with several multinational corporations and government regulators. While there, I developed a deep passion for energy, and I hope to work in the industry. The second was a trip to the KPMG International Case Competition with the business school. After winning the National Championship, my three teammates and I competed in the international finals in Athens, Greece. We competed against teams from around the globe and won the International Championship.

What are your best memories of Wake Forest?
I have been blessed to study under many amazing professors. In the business school I had outstanding professors including the entire finance and accounting staff. Outside of academics, I’ll miss late spring weekends, playing sports on Fridays, the Dan River, mock trials and other competitions, and free time.

What are your post-graduation plans?
Next year I will join Brookwood Associates in Charlotte, North Carolina. Brookwood is a middle-market investment bank focusing on mergers and acquisitions.

Your best advice for a new student starting in the fall…
Get acquainted with career services during your first year on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment