Monday, March 29, 2010

Seizing on Opportunities … “Get on Your Way”

WFU Business School Headshots 8-20-09The past week has made me really reflect about the significance of earning my MBA. Although we have classes  and awesome professors, getting this degree from the Wake Forest University Schools of Business is really much more than that. Events from last week were a prime example.

Our program director, Bill Davis, hosted a lunch with Lee Scott, a retired chairman and CEO at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. who still chairs the executive committee. As a working student, I had to take a late lunch to attend the event. It was worth it! Getting to meet this high-profile executive, along with getting to know his thoughts around distribution methodology, quality and brand, made it a valuable experience. As an IT person, I may not get much exposure to hear about different aspects of the industry.

Towards the end of the week, all graduate programs were invited to a networking event for the Elevator Competition, held at the corporate headquarters for BB&T Corp., one of the nation’s biggest banks. This was the 11th annual event and had record high applications. These types of events not only allow you to network with others in the industry, but also within your own graduate school.

Looking back at the last week made me think of Dr. Seuss and his quote: “Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So … get on your way.” Seizing the opportunities like last week makes the MBA journey interesting and broadens your horizon. These experiences serve as a lasting supplement to my coursework, providing a series of special moments that will last in my memory long after I receive my degree!

~ Bobbie Shrivastav

No comments:

Post a Comment