Monday, March 22, 2010

Celebrate Your Success!

WFU Business School Headshots 8-20-09

Not to stress you out or anything, but we are coming to the end of the school year and it will be here before you know it! As you begin to focus on your mini 4 classes, I know you are also heavily engaged in internship and job searches. For many of the students I’ve talked to, I am amazed at the incredible networking job you are doing! Every time I ask if they’ve talked to Person X or Person Y, they say “yes”! As our CMC staff tells you, it’s a numbers game and the more networking, informational interviewing and reaching out you do, the closer you’ll get to that offer. 
When I roam the halls and speak to first- and second-year students, I’m getting some good news about internships and job offers. I am so excited each time I hear that someone’s efforts are paying off and that they’re finding success in their searches. I am also under the impression that some of you are not sharing your successes (offers and acceptances) with your classmates or with the rest of us. You feel guilty talking about your offer because you don’t want others to feel badly that they haven’t received one yet.  
I encourage you to share your successes (offers taken or not) so that others are motivated to fully engage (or continue to engage) in the networking process. Sharing your news allows others to see how your efforts are paying off. Others may be encouraged, rather than discouraged, by their peers finding jobs and internships.  Your positive results demonstrate that hard work and daily dedication to the job search eventually pays off.
I ask that you please share your successes with each other, with the CMC office, and with your professors and administrators and allow us all to share in your success. You will actually be encouraging others to broaden their networking efforts, do one more informational interview or reach out to one more alumnus than they did last week. And this will spell success for all of us!

~Sherry Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment