Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Marketing Summit 2011: Behind the Case

WFU Business School Headshots 8-20-09 We are proud to feature a Q&A with Roy Hykal (right), a second-year full-time MBA candidate in the Wake Forest University's Schools of Business and co-writer of this year's case studies for the Marketing Summit. We hope this interview provides a solid sneak peak of the process behind what are sure to be engaging and challenging cases for the graduate and undergraduate teams.

*****

Paul Davis: How did you get selected to write the case?

Roy Hykal:  Last year I wrote the press releases for the Marketing Summit, and this year I was approached by Co-Chair Ryan McBreen with the opportunity to write the cases. After reading so many of these cases in business school, I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to write my own.

PD: Who did you work with in writing the case?

WFU Business School Headshots 8-20-09I worked with my fellow classmate, Jeff Hughes (left). Jeff and I have been good friends since the beginning of the  MBA program, and I knew working with him on these cases would not only be fun, but also efficient.

PD: What was the general process (meetings, research, etc.), and how long did it take?

RH: We started writing the first drafts in early December (after finals ended), and it took us the next seven weeks to deliver the final drafts. Both The North Face and Nautica were really good about getting us the information we needed, and walking us through their goals during numerous conference calls. In addition, Derrick Boone, Roger Beahm, and Ryan McBreen (aka the Killer B’s) were also instrumental in guiding Jeff and I along the right path.

PD: What general advice would you offer to the teams?

RH: We can’t give away too much here, but read the case thoroughly, get intimate with the exhibits, and be creative without being wild when brainstorming.

PD: Did you collaborate on the graduate or undergraduate case?

RH: Jeff and I worked collectively to write both of the cases.  However, if you think one is better than the other, let me know so that I can take credit for it.

PD: What are you hoping to get out of the Marketing Summit? Which event are you most excited about?

RH: Ideally, I’d like to become famous after writing this case, but realistically, I hope that the teams can deliver solutions and ideas to TNF and Nautica that will really will make a difference. This whole experience has been great, and I’m sure the undergrad and MBA teams are going to really impress VF Corp. – the case sponsor – along with the panel of judges. 

PD: Which event are you most excited about?

RH: As for the event that I’m most looking forward to, I understand that Jeff and I will be getting honored at the Gala (that’s what Ryan McBreen promised me) for writing such great cases. Also, I’m interested in hearing the presentations from all the teams. It’s going to be neat to see how they interpreted the cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment