Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Club Fair ~ A Perspective


An old adage comes to mind when I think about Grad School: “so much to do, so little time.” Truer words have never been spoken. The resources that the Wake Forest University Schools of Business has laid before us are nearly immeasurable and I feel like a kid in a candy store – I just want to consume everything!
I have been warned by 2nd years, professors and administrators alike that I should not try to spread myself too thin. However, their sage advice and good intentions could hardly compete with my excitement when I walked into our Club Kickoff Fair last Thursday.
Clubs, organizations and student service offices had booths set up all over the Professional Center Courtyard. Each booth enticed students with not only myriad opportunities to grow throughout the school year, but snacks and prizes as well. How could I say no? I made a point to visit each booth, whether I thought I would have an interest in what they were offering or not; it’s a good thing I did because I learned about campus services that I did not even know were available to me. By the time the fair was over I had placed my name on several club e-mailing lists (such as Babcock Women In Business, Black Business Students Association, Strategy & Consulting Club, Entrepreneurship Club, Net Impact), signed up to compete for a 1st year position on our Case Team for the Marketing Summit, and picked up brochures about diversity initiatives and Campus Ministry.
It remains to be seen whether or not I will be able to consistently participate in all the clubs I signed up for. However, the method behind my madness was one of passion and a desire to take advantage of any and all opportunities set before me. In truth, I expect I will find my niche soon enough and commit myself to one or two clubs and campus activities. In the meantime, however, I will navigate through my emails and look forward to all the great things to come.
~ Ahkesha T. Murray, full-time MBA program, Class of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment